Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Better the Second Time Around?

Recently it seems the trends for RPG's is stuffing so much unlockable content and freedom into them you have to play through more than once to fully experience it all. Recent examples include Resident Evil 4&5, Mass Effect and Fallout 3. While I do enjoy the sandbox style when applied to video RPG's as they make the games feel a bit more like "traditional" role-playing games, having to sit through the typical boring opening scenes negate any enjoyment I may get. I've played through both Mass Effect and Fallout 3 on the 360 and at the end of each I was ready to start over with a different character, wanting to go through the trials and tribulations of the respective stories with a new set of morals and abilities. After whipping up a new character I got started, excited and eager only to quickly become bored with having to go through the tedious prologues. Once I've gotten through to the meat of a game I have a hard time starting over.

There needs to be an option to start a second rub at around level 5-10, just far enough along to begin taking advantage of different abilities and branching out with decisions without having to go through all the parts I just mentioned. I don't know, maybe it's just the fact that I've got the attention span of a fruit fly but I just can't get into games after I start the second run.

3 comments:

  1. Ya know, I was thinking the same thing when I was playing Fallout 3. I never did beat it but I was a good ways into the game when I decided that I wanted to try a melee-centric character. I completely lost interest in continuing to play him when I realized I had to do all that errand running at the starter town again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. having not played mass effect, i can't say anything about that. but fallout 3, while the opening bit is a bit tedious, you can run through it pretty quickly generally, and skip quite a few bits really. and once your out of the vault, well technically you can go anywhere. with my seconed run through, i made up my muscled melee monster, and first thing i did was go and settle the Arefu quest lines, to get the vampire perk. interesting, fun, and worth it. and very much different from my first time through. also went down soon after to do the Operation Anchoridge bit. that was fun, armed me up nice, and gave me the powered armor perk, at level 9, and i havent even gone to GNR yet.
    in fallout's case, i can understand having the play out your first level in the vault, its basically just to determine what direction you are going to be headed when you get out. and one level doesn't seem so bad.
    But to be fair, i enjoy playing through most games a few times. doing things differently, or just better. i rotate back through games, books and movies all the time. not sure how many times i've played through Star Control 2, and that's nowhere as interesting as fallout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I enjoy going through the tedious low level beginnings to a game the second or possibly more times through. With the KOTOR games I enjoyed playing through the earlier levels exploring different solutions the problems in order to direct my party down a certain path.

    ReplyDelete