Tuesday, June 23, 2009

It Ain't Easy Being Geek

But it sure is a helluva lot of fun!

From MMORPG's and first-person shooters for you PC and console gamers, to box sets of classic TV shows and a still thriving dice and paper role playing game market for you old school geeks there seems to be something for everyone of any age nowadays. Of course, for the most part, there has always been a niche for us to scratch that geek itch and I'm not implying the quality of movies, TV and comic books is superior than it was in decades past there's just a lot more of it. Yes, thanks to the Internet even the most socially inept nerd can still have a voice. It's thanks in part to forums and message boards that media companies determine which long cancelled TV shows will be released on special edition DVD, new movies now have full scale viral ad campaigns in hopes of snagging a key demographic, the hardcore 'net users. In my humble opinion we are living in the golden age of geekdom and I, for one, am enjoying every moment. In this, my little corner of the web, I'll discuss music, movies, RPG's, video games, sports and any other pop-culture topic that catches my fancy.

Without further delay, I give you the first, quick strike edition of Things I Think I Think...

- We're in a dead spot for sports. NFL's dead, nothing going on in the NBA and even hockey's over. Hard to get excited over game 20 out of 162 in baseball...

- Between still playing Mass Effect and Fallout 3, I've barely got time to spend on Resident Evil 5 or Left 4 Dead...

- Speaking of L4D, I don't know whether to shriek in glee or rage that the sequel is being released a year and a day from the launch of the original.

- Even though I tried to resist, I think Spike TV's "Deadliest Warrior" is one of the most interesting and unique shows I've seen in a while, even if the ninja did get a raw deal.

- Not sure if I'd consider the astounding similarities between The Offspring's single "Rise and Fall" and Green Day's "American Idiot" to be a blatant rip-off, or simple coincidence.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere! I hope the intarwebz gods bless you with more viewers than my lackluster digital publication.

    PS- Fallout 3 = orgasmic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, this is a sweet blog. I must say that I agree with all of your points, save one. I love baseball man. I am looking forward to reading more of your rants and random thoughts. Keep up the good work. And by the way, the old adage was wrong, the meek shall not inherit the earth, the GEEKS will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, don't get me wrong, Michael, I do, actually enjoy baseball. More specifically, the last month of the regular season and the playoffs. I just can't seem to find in the interest in it until September and October.

    Thanks for the encouraging words! I'll do my best to stay consistent in quality and diverse in content!

    ReplyDelete